How Points Are Assigned
- Players Cup Points are accumulated during the calendar year.
- A player’s Division for the given year is determined by his/her age as of the first day of January.
- In Stroke Play events, all players finishing the event will receive points. In match play events, in addition to those selected for matches, those whose score ties for the last qualifying place earn equal points.
- Bonus points are available for players in USGA Championships and International events with AGA Invitations (i.e. Peru, Mexican Amateur)
- Players Qualifying for USGA events receive points according to the published criteria. AGA is responsible for charting points gained in Arizona qualifiers. Those players qualifying in other locations are responsible to notify the AGA within 30 days’ of qualifying to receive points.
- In Sanctioned events, points will be awarded to the top 10 finishers or 1/3 of the field, whichever is less. In the Arizona Open and Arizona Senior Open, the 1/3 of field criteria refers to number of amateurs in the field – i.e. if there are 24 amateurs in the Arizona Open, 8 amateurs would receive points.
- If a player’s birthdate creates eligibility for another Division, the player may compete for a trophy in any event for which his age makes him eligible, but may gain points only through the Division in effect as of January 1 for the year. Points accumulated cannot be transferred from one Division to another within the same year.
- In Arizona State Opens, points are determined by the order of finish of the amateurs entered.
- Any player competing in an Open Event will earn points in the appropriate Age Division determined by the score returned in the event. In Divisional events, players choosing to play in the Open Flight will receive points they would have earned with that score, in the Divisional breakdown. i.e. a player scores 144 in the Open, which is equal the to the third place score in his division – so he would earn third place points (with out effecting other players in that Division.)
- Open Division play does not displace Age Division points assignments.
- Points allocations for individual events are subject to review based on the size of the scratch field. Poorly subscribed events may receive points reductions. The general policy will be to expect 40 players in open events for full points distributions. If fewer than 40 are competing in a scratch group, the first place for points will be determined by eliminating the number of places less than 40 from the top of the distribution. Ex. – If there were 30 players in the event, the first place for points would be 11th place.
Players Cup Year and Event Awards
With the conclusion of the Players Cup Championship, the Points leaders in each Division for the year will receive prizes based on the year-long contributions from events. A total of $14,000 will be divided according to the number of players competing in each Division during the year, awarded to the top eight players in each Division. The Women’s Division will be awarded to the top three in the Open Division and the top five in the Senior Division.
*Points for team events are split between the players
Points For AGA Stroke Play events
|Round of 16||250||100||132|
|Round of 32||150||50||33|
|Round of 64||75||—||—|
*With AGA Participation
Points for USGA Qualifying Rounds and International Invitationals
|US Open Sectional Qualifying||150|
|Bonus Points for Participation-International & Pac Coast||100|
|Making Cut/Match Play in USGA Championships||150|
|Top Ten Finish Stroke Play/Quarter Finalist Match Play (total)||250|
Points for Team Events are split between/among players
Points for Sanctioned Events
|Place||Type I||Type II|