Kim Eaton and Leigh Klasse Capture 2019 Women’s Scotch Play Team Tournament
Kim Eaton and Leigh Klasse claimed the Championship title of the 2019 Women’s Scotch Play Tournament on Friday, September 27 and Saturday, September 28 at Tubac Golf Resort. The tournament was played in the Chapman format where both partners hit a tee shot, each partner plays a second shot with the other’s ball after which a choice is made as to the ball with which the hole is to be completed, playing alternate shot.
The two-woman team entered the final round with a six-shot lead and won by 10 strokes, scoring a team total of 136 (67, 69). The winning team posted eight birdies during the competition and only two bogies on the famous “Tin Cup” golf course. Both Eaton and Klasse hold outstanding competitive golf resumes both having competed on the local and national stages. Eaton kept the ball rolling after playing in her seventh U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur two weeks earlier at Forest Highlands Golf Club in Flagstaff.
Eaton and Klasse were followed by the talented teams, Molly Steffes and Tori Totlis, as well as Lisa Smego and Judy Miller. Both shot 73 during the introductory round, six strokes behind the field leaders. Steffes/Totlis fired another 73 on the final day to give them a two-day-total of 146 (+4) and clenching first place in the First Flight. Meanwhile, the Smego/Miller team finished with a 76, two-day-total of 149 (+7).
The Overall Net Champions were Mary Engert and Donna Eich, who finished with a net total of 132 (-10).
The Women’s Scotch Play Championship was divided into four flights according to handicaps and 14 teams were recognized for their play within their flights. The results are below:
· First Flight
– First Place: Molly Steffes and Tori Totlis
– Second Place: Lisa Smego and Judy Miller
– First Net: Sue O’Connor and Lindsey Steber
· Second Flight
– First Place: Mary Morris and Wei Bedell
– Second Place: Nell Brownell and Lisa O’donnell
– First Net: Susan Gibson and June Newton
· Third Flight
– First Place: Jan Rintala and Ginna Riggall
– First Net: Mikki Rydell and Mary Anne Lofquist
– Second Net: Chris Ward and Edie Schmitz
· Fourth Flight
– First Place: Jacki McCue and Barbara Ross
– First Net: Sharron Taylor and Peggy Hettinger
– Second Net: Mary Thaxton and Gwen Arnold
Tubac Golf Resort holds a claim to fame as the well-known golf course where portions of the movie, “Tin Cup” where filmed. This, alongside the town’s intimate, boutique nature and history made the event even more special.
Full Results: Click Here