Annual Player Award Criteria
Arizona Golf Hall of Fame
Each year the Arizona Golf Foundation Hall of Fame Selectors Committee, with representatives from the non-profit golf associations within Arizona reviews candidates for the Arizona Golf Hall of Fame, with the Award presented to selected individuals based on ballots returned from the Hall of Fame Voting Delegates. The Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is normally held the Monday of Thanksgiving week.
Players of the Year
The AGA Players of the Year Awards were established in 1986 to recognize the player who, during a current AGA Tour season, has the most consistent and outstanding record. Awards are given in each Division.
- Player of the Year: The top 3 positions on the Year End Players Cup Points list will be eligible for consideration by the Tournament Committee to vote from. Supplementary accomplishments to be considered for selecting the Player of the Year: a) make match play or a top 10 finish in the USGA or R&A Championship. b) win an individual Major AGA Championship. c) Be the Mayfair Award winner (based on open event scoring average only)
In addition, any player for consideration must have competed in a minimum of five (5) AGA Open events, or three (3) AGA Open Major Championships to be eligible.
2. Divisional Players of the Year: The Player of the Year within each Division will be determined by the year-long "Players Cup Points" winner in each Division, to include Masters, Seniors, Super Seniors and Legends. Points for year-end total for each Division will be an aggregate of ALL points earned from ANY event played, including OPEN events.
3. Updegraff Award: The Updegraff Award is the AGA’s highest recognition, given annually, honoring the Arizona golfer “who by his/her actions or accomplishments exemplifies the Spirit of the Game.
The Mayfair Trophy was created in 1988 to be awarded to the Member with the lowest weighted scoring average at the end of each year. To be eligible, a player must complete in at least:
- One USGA Qualifying round in Arizona and at least two AGA Open Major Championships; or
- Compete in at least one USGA Qualifying round in Arizona, at least one AGA Open Major Championship and a collegiate championship in Arizona.
*Withdrawal for any reason after beginning play in a qualifying event voids eligibility.
Events for inclusion: AGA TOUR Events (Open Division only), USGA Qualifiers hosted in Arizona, USGA Championships (if applicable, stoke play rounds only), Collegiate Championships of Arizona Schools: ASU, U of A, & GCU, Southwestern Amateur (when hosted in Arizona), Pacific Coast Amateur & Arizona Open.
Champion of Golf Award
The Champion of Golf Award is given annually to a person "who by his or her accomplishments has unselfishly created lasting benefit to the Game of Golf in Arizona".
Doc Graves Volunteer of the Year Award
The Doc Graves Award is presented by AGA staff annually to a person whose volunteer hours and contributions have creating lasting benefit to the AGA and its members.
Honorary Captain Award
Ever since the dawn of the Rules of Golf in 1744 clubs have selected Captains to oversee the Rules and Competitions during a given year. At the suggestion of AGA and Gallery Golf Club member Charlie Horn, the AGA inaugurated the Honorary Captain Award in 2013 to recognize those with dedicated Rules Official service to the AGA and its Championships. The Honorary Captain serves as Senior Rules Committee Member at AGA Championships.