GHIN Digital Profile Launch Preview
GHIN Digital Profile Launch Preview: Monday, January 11th
*ONLY AFFECTS GHIN OUTLETS (GHIN Mobile App and GHIN.com) – ALTERNATIVE POSTING OUTLETS WILL NOT BE IMPACTED)*
What is a Golfer Digital Profile and why is it being introducing?
The golfer digital profile is an enhanced authentication method for ghin.com and the GHIN Mobile App that will better secure golfer data and privacy. In 2020, the login for ghin.com and the GHIN Mobile App was Last Name and GHIN Number, with the introduction of digital profile on Monday, January 11th; the login will be email address or GHIN Number and a password that the golfer has created. This will not only better secure golfer data, but will also enable more self-service for the golfer as they will be able to initiate a reset password email and update some of their profile information once logged in (e.g. email address, mailing address, phone number).
Requirements for a Golfer to create a Digital Profile
The golfer will need to be active, over the age of 13, a member of a club whose front-end provider is GHIN and have an email address in their GHIN profile in order to create a digital profile. Each digital profile will be tied to a unique email address in their GHIN profile within the USGA Admin Portal. For golfers who share an email address, the first golfer to initiate the digital profile creation process will “claim” that email address, requiring the other golfer to have their Club or local Association update their email address within the USGA Admin Portal.
Note: Unfortunately, there is not a way in which a golfer can add their own email address to their GHIN Profile if not done so in the original record setup and activation process. So, if you do not have an email present but wish to prompt the setup of a GHIN Digital Profile, please reach out to your club administrator or AGA staff to provide a new email which may be added to your record and in turn allow you to follow the registration process to completion.
Creating a Digital Profile
There are 2 typical ways in which the digital profile creation process can be initiated by a player:
- Organically Verify Information at GHIN.com or GHIN Mobile App
- Golfers may navigate to GHIN.com or GHIN Mobile App on or after 1/11/21 to begin the digital profile creation process (registration button will be present), verifying their account by supplying either:
- GHIN Number and email address
- GHIN Number and last name
- Email Address and last name
- Within the “Golfer Profile” area of the USGA Admin Portal, there will be a button to “Send Invitation to Create a Digital Profile” for the golfer
The golfer will then be able to log in to ghin.com or the GHIN Mobile App with their email address or GHIN Number and the password that they have created (minimum of 6 characters).
If the golfer forgets their login information (i.e. password), they will be able to either provide their email address or GHIN Number to kick-off a reset password email. Additionally, an Association or Club Admin will be able to send a “Reset Password” email via the USGA Admin Portal.
A logged in golfer will be able to view/edit their Profile information:
- GHIN Number (not editable)
- Name (not editable)
- GHIN Memberships (not editable)
- Email Address (editable)
- Address (editable)
- Phone Number (editable)
Launch Timeline & Key Dates
- Monday January, 11, 2021
- Digital Profile required to access ghin.com
- GHIN Mobile App updated with new authentication method; however, will not impact logged in users or users that do not update App to the new version being released on 1/11
- Tuesday January, 19, 2021
- Forced App update if not already downloaded over the prior week
- Users not logged in via digital profile will be logged out and forced to establish a Digital Profile to regain access
- Profile Management available within GHIN Mobile App & ghin.com for the player to edit account information (email, address, phone)