Blanchard Wins First AGA Major of the Year at Aguila Golf Course
LAVEEN, Ariz. – Brian Blanchard needed a playoff, but brought home the first AGA Major title of the year Sunday at Aguila Golf Course, shooting -7 overall after a final round even-par 72 at the AGA Championship. Blanchard’s final round tally made up a three-shot deficit, forcing a playoff with 54-hole leader Bryan Hoops and Adam Walicki. He would make birdie on the first playoff hole to triumph in the blustery conditions at Aguila for his first AGA tournament victory, doing so in major fashion by carding rounds of 70-74-65-72.
Blanchard, of Desert Forest Golf Club, and Kurt Watkins were the only players to card rounds of 65 in the competition, with Watkins coming in the first round and Blanchard’s in the third. Going low seemed to give Blanchard some much-needed momentum going into the final round, where he would eventually outlast two former AGA players of the year en route to victory.
Full AGA Championship Leaderboard: https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/3320756
RELATED: Watkins leads after R1 of AGA Championship
Another tournament highlight came from Mike Davidson on the drivable par-4 eighth hole, where he made an Albatross with a hole in one. Check out the video below.
#ICYMI Mike Davidson shot a #holeinone at Aguila Golf Course yesterday!— Arizona Golf Association (@AZGolfAssn) March 21, 2022
The magical moment came in the final round of the #AGAChampionship on the drivable par-4 eighth hole. pic.twitter.com/Ir1gClDZ4R
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Up next for the AGA:
- Travel: Mayan Palace Spring Member Weekend, March 26 – 27, 2022 | Recap: 2021 Mayan Palace Member Weekend
- Social Golf: AZ Under30 – Dobson Ranch Golf Club, April 3, 2022
- Learn Golf: Take A Swing Clinic – Cave Creek – Session 1, April 16, 2022
- Women’s Championship: Women’s Four-Ball Championship, April 18 – 19, 2022
- Men’s Championship: Arizona Stroke Play Championship, April 21 – 24, 2022