Check out what has been happening Golf.
Susan Wooster Claims Arizona Women’s State Amateur Senior Championship Title
Australian native, Susan Wooster claimed the Arizona Women’s State Amateur Senior Championship title on Friday, September 6 at Briarwood Country Club.
Heading into the final round, Wooster trailed Leigh Klasse, the second round leader, by two stokes. Showing no fear for the competitive field or tough conditions, she gained great momentum on her final 18.. Wooster made up for the deficit on her last nine-holes – with four birdies – to shoot an impressive 2-under, 70 to solidify her victory. She rounded out the tournament with a three-day total of 216. Between the heat, treacherous venue, and talented field, Wooster rose to the top of the leaderboard. This victory came one week after her impressive runner-up finish at the 2019 Women’s U.S. Senior Amateur Championship for her second consecutive year.
Finishing three strokes behind the Champion was Briarwood member, Leigh Klasse, who held strong and consistent through the tournament, firing 72, 72, 75 for a three-day total of 219. Karri Kinkead, also a Briarwood member, finished third with a three-day total of 223.
Mary Jo Slunder from the Working Women’s Golf Association captured the Overall Net Championship.
The Championship recognized five different age-specific flights within the field; the Championship, Field, Super Seniors (70-74), Masters (75-79) and Legends (80+). In addition to the field awards, the AGA Women’s State Amateur Senior Championship recognizes five additional awards including the following:
• Mo Cruikshank Memorial Trophy – to the member club with the two lowest gross scores in the Championship flight, won this year by Briarwood Country Club.
• Mary Lou Sauer Memorial Trophy – to the member club with the two lowest net scores in the Field flight, won this year by the Working Women’s Golf Association.
• Dr, Ann Pittman Memorial Trophy – to the two-person blind-draw team with the lowest combined net score in the Super Senior Flight – won this year by Marilyn Miller and Ada Davison.
• The Legends Gross Championship – to the lowest gross scorer of the Masters and Legends flights combined – won for a third consecutive year by Wendy Stone.
• The Legends Net Championship – to the lowest net scorer of the Masters and Legends flights combined – won by Gail Plimpton
Briarwood Country Club proved to be a worthy and fair golf course for the Championship, providing great hospitality and proud members who volunteered and welcomed to the players.
Full Results: Click Here